Foreign Tourists Facilities
Facilities provided by Indian Railways for Foreign Tourists.
Yes. Foreign tourists who wish to experience Indian by train, can enjoy the special facilities earmarked for them. These are explained below in
Special Quota: Several important trains have a special quota for foreign tourists. This can be availed on payment of US Dollars or Pound Sterling.
Tourists without foreign currency, will be allotted the special quota on production of the exchange certifi cates issued by an nationalised bank.
At the time of reservation, the passport number and the country of origin should be mentioned.
Assistance Cells: Major Reservation Centres have special Cells to help
foreign tourists plan their itinerary, reserve their tickets and render any assistance required.
The International Tourist Bureau situated on the first floor of New Delhi
Railway Station provides personalised service and assistance to foreign tourists and NRIs regarding reservations, itinerary planning and other
enquiries. This Bureau is manned by trained staff and tourist guides, fluent in foreign languages. For any assistance, please contact: The Manager, International Tourist Bureau, I Floor, New Delhi Railway Station, New Delhi-110 001. Tel : 011-23405156, 23346804. Fax : 011-23343050.
Indrail Pass: This travel-as-you-please ticket has been created
especially for foreign tourists and Indian nationals residing
abroad. This ticket is available for a specified time period from 1/2
day to 90 days. Indrail Passes should be used within one year of
issue. Validity period starts from the date of the first train journey
and ends on the midnight of the last journey.
During the period of validity, foreign tourists can travel from
anywhere to anywhere on the Indian Railways network without
route or train restrictions and without payment of any additional
Foreign Tourist Quota Booking :
Foreign Tourists (including NRIs) holding valid passport can avail Foreign Tourist Quota facility to book
railway tickets online using IRCTC eTicketing. https://www.irctc.co.in/
International Users can book tickets under Foreign Tourist Quota upto 365 days in advance. For bookings
done within current ARP period, berths will be allocated at the time of booking. While for bookings done
beyond current ARP period, berths will be provided at the later stage when allotted by Railways PRS
system. Users will be notified about berth allocation through International SMS facility.
Steps to avail Foreign Tourist Quota:
- Using Update profile option on IRCTC eTicketing website, Foreign Tourists and NRIs should first
submit and verify International mobile number in their profile. To verify the provided mobile
number, an OTP will be sent. User must submit the received OTP to complete the verification
- Select “Foreign Tourist Ticket Booking” link under “Services” option of IRCTC eTicketing website.
- User can book tickets under Foreign Tourist Quota upto 365 days in advance.
- Available classes of travel under Foreign Tourist Quota are 1A, 2A and EC.
- User has to provide valid Passport number at the time of booking tickets.
- All SMS communications from IRCTC will be sent on mobile number submitted and verified by
user while updating profile.
- For payment of ticket booking amount, User has the option to make payment using International
- After successful payment and booking of ticket, Booking SMS and confirmation mail will be sent
on registered mobile number and e-mail id respectively.
- There is a charge of Rs 200 + applicable taxes per ticket booked under Foreign Tourist Quota
through IRCTC eTicketing website.
- In case of cancellation by User, 50% of the fare shall be deducted in addition to the cancellation
charges. Time limits for cancellation of tickets booked online are as per extant rule set by Indian
- In case berth is not allotted by Railway PRS system, ticket will be automatically cancelled and
Cancellation SMS / Email with details will be sent to the user on registered mobile number.
- If booking amount has been debited from customer’s bank account and ticket was not issued,
IRCTC will refund the entire Fare and IRCTC service charges electronically (as credit to the relevant
credit /debit card account used for the transaction).
- Refunds amount if any, will be credited only in the account which was used for ticket booking.
- IRCTC's payment reconciliation team works on a 24 x 7 basis, IRCTC offers no guarantees
whatsoever for the accuracy or timeliness of the refunds reaching the Customers card/bank
accounts. This is on account of the multiplicity of organizations involved in processing of online
transactions, the problems with Internet infrastructure currently available and working
days/holidays of financial institutions.
- All refund will be processed as per extant Railway Refund Rules.
Ticket Booking Releated Topics