Palghat Division Southern Railway
Palakkad Division was formed on 31st August 1956. Historically, the beginning of the Railways in the Region started with the laying of the line from Podanur to Pattambi in 1860. The first Railway line was started between Beypore and Tirur on 12th March 1861 for a length of 30.5KM, followed by Tirur- Kuttippuramline (14.5KM) on 1st May 1861 & Pattambi – Podanur (105KM) on 14th April 1862.
The leftover portion of Kuttippuram – Pattambi Line (37 KM) was completed on 23rd September 1862. The line was extended in phases to Mangalore by the year 1907. When Trivandrum Division was formed on 2nd October 1979, the Shoranur - Cochin Harbour Terminus section was handed over to Trivandrum Division.
Before the formation of Trivandrum Division, PGT Division had a route km of 1247.58. After formation of TVC Division, PGT Division had 1132.98 Route Km. With the formation of the new Salem Division on 1st November, 2007, the present Palakkad Division has a Route kilometre of 577.74 Kms.
Postal Address of Palghat Division:Divisional Railway Manager Office DRM Complex
Pin - 678002.
DRM Palghat Twitter A/c - @propgt14