Shatabdi Express trains are a series of fast (called superfast in India) passenger trains operated by Indian Railways to connect Metro cities with other cities important for tourism, pilgrimage or business. Shatabdi Express are day-trains and they return to the station of origin the same day.
The Shatabdi Expresses get second highest priority, after Rajdhani Expresses which gets highest priority. The Shatabdi Express trains run over short to medium distances while the Rajdhani Expresses and the Duronto Expresses are long-distance trains.
As Shatabdi Express are day-trains and return to the station of origin the same day, coaches (called AC Chair Car or CC) on the train have only seats and not berths. All the Shatabdi Express trains have, however, one or two coaches of first class airconditioned seating. These coaches have wider leg room and offer better food compared to the normal Air conditioned seating (CC).
- A few Shatabdi's have a current booking system where tickets can be booked within a couple of hours before departure.
- Recently Dynamic Pricing has been introduced on all Shatabdi Trains.
- Shatabdi Express trains offer fast connectivity with only a few intermediate stops.
- They are fully air-conditioned and of a much higher standard than most Indian trains.
- Shatabdi travelers are provided with bottled water, juice, coffee or tea, and meals relevant to time of day of the journey.
Train Types Releated Topics