Situated at a distance of 20 km from Haridwar and only 10 km from Roorkee on the banks of the river Ganga, Piran Kaliyar Shareef is a wonderful symbol of unity. Ibrahim Lodhi (16th Century AD) built the tomb of this dargah. It is situated towards the south of Haridwar. Famed for its mystical powers that fulfill the desires of the devout, the Dargah is visited by millions of devotees from all over the world.
Piran Kaliyar, also known as Kaliyar Sharif, which is the burial place of a Sufi saint named Alla uddin Ali Ahmad Sabir. It is only a half hour drive from Haridwar, and the Islamic touch makes the feel of the place completely different.
One can see some of the detail work on the sides of the tomb. The sidewalls have open grillwork, which allows one to peep in side and also allows the breeze to move through in the summer.
The veneration of saints in Islam is based on the belief that their piety brought them close to Allah, and that they can therefore act as channels of Allah's grace. Not only people visit the saints to ask favours, but also some strive to be buried near them. The tomb compound at Piran Kaliyar contains the graves of his numerous followers, whereas the smaller tomb is built outside the shrine.
The shrine of Piran Kaliyar is the anchor and raison d'etre for the town of Kaliyar, which is little more than a collection of shops around the saint‘s tomb for selling merchandise, souvenirs, food, and offerings for the saint such as roses and sugar. The only time things get really busy is during the annual 'Urs‘, the festival celebrating the saint‘s death anniversary.
How to Reach
- Air : The nearest airport is Jolly Grant, Dehradun (61 km) on Rishikesh-State Highway.
- Rail : The nearest railhead is Roorkee (10 km). Connected with all important cities of india, viz Delhi, Agra, Howrah, Varanasi, Allahabad, Amritsar, Dehradun, Lucknow and others with express trains.
- Road : Roorkee on National Highway is well connected by Bus services to all major cities and other parts of the North India. From where one can reach to Piran Kaliyar by Taxis, Tangas & Rickshaws available at Bus Stand and Railway Station. Haridwar On National highway No. 58 is well connected to all major cities and other parts of the state.
Where to Stay (STD Code - 0133)
At Piran Kaliyar:
- Dergah Sabri Guest House : Ph 01332-272075
- GMVN Tourist Rest Houses
At Roorkee (STD Code - 01332) :
- Govt. Himalaya Guest House : Ph 272254
- GMVN Tourist Rest Houses
- Govt. PWD Inspection : Ph 272619
- Motel Polaris, Civil Lines : Ph 272648, 277701
- Hotel Divine lntemational : Ph 272542
- Hotel Godavari, Delhi Road : Ph 278844
- Hotel Prem Dynasty, Near Bus Stand : Ph 271428, 273713
- Hotel Arti, Near Bus Stand : Ph 272704, 264786
- Hotel Prem, Near Bus Stand : Ph 270340
- Hotel Royal Palace, Civil Lines : Ph 272678, 272242
- Hotel Amber, Near Bus Stand : Ph 275838
- Hotel Raj Palace, Haridvrar : Ph 269407
- Hotel Urvashi, Civil Lines : Ph 271029
- Kajri Rest House : Ph 273557
- New Bhatia Lodge : Ph 271760
- Hotel President : Ph 273097
- Hotel Highway, Malakpur Chungi : Ph 277477
Important Telephone Nos.
- S.D.M. Roorkee : Ph 275800, 272484
- S.P. Roorkee : Ph 275155
- Manager, Dargah Piran Kaliyar : Ph 272075
- Police Control Room : Ph 272896
- Kotwali : Ph 272222
- Police Station, Ganga Nahar : Ph 274160
- Fire Station, Roorkee : Ph 273099
- District Tourism Development Officer : Ph 01334-265304
Other Accommodation at Haridwar
- U.P.T.D.C. Ltd. (Hotel Alaknanda)
- Rahi Motel, GMVN, Near bus stand : Ph 4228686, 4226430
- Ashram & Dharamshalas
- Amar Lal Sindhi Dharamshala
- Jai Ram Ashram
Beyond Piran Kaliyar
Roorkee : Situated 10 km from Piran Kaliyar, Roorkee is a quiet town of moderate size in the district of Haridwar (Uttarakhand). It is located on the banks of the upper Ganga Canal, which takes off to Haridwar, 30 km away. Roorkee is the gateway to the pilgrim centres o f Haridwar, Rishikesh, Badrinath and Kedarnath, and the tourist attractions of Dehradun and and Mussoorie. Roorkee is more known for the Indian Institute of Technology and Central Building Research lnstitute.
Haridwar : Only 30 minutes drive to the gateway of the four Dhams, the holiest shrines in the Himalayas- Kedarnath, Badrinath, and Gangotri &Yamunotri.
Rajaii National Park : Rajaji National Park is distinctly known for its pristine scenic beauty and rich zoological-diversity. A paradise for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. The wildlife of the park is blessed with elephants, tigers, leopards, deer and gorals as its best-known life forms.