Ranikhet is a place related with the legends of Himalayas.
Once upon a time, the Queen Padmini of Kumaon was in love with this tiny hill paradise. King Sudhardev had to oblige her, by building a palace here and named this place Ranikhet', the queen's field.
No trace of the palace can be found today. but the place remained the same: bewitching. full of flowers, trees and green meadows in the midst of heavenly Himalayan surroundings. Lost into oblivion for long, the picturesque hill station was rediscovered by the Britishers. They bought it from the local villagers to build it as a summer resort and establish an army recruitment centre. It's still the headquarters of the Kumaon Regiment.
Situated at a height of 1,829 mtrs and with an area of 21.76 sq. kms Ranikhet has everything to soothe the nerves of an avid city dweller, the salubrious atmosphere, tall conifer trees, green meadows, serene surroundings, absolute peace and the hospitable people. The charm of every season is irresistible in its own way. And this is what makes Ranikhet an all season destination. Of course. it has one of the best hill golf greens (9 holes) in the country.
How to Reach
- Air: The nearest Airport is Pant Nagar, at a distance of 119 kms.
- Rail: Kathgodam (86 kms.) is the nearest railhead.
- Road: Ranikhet is well connected via roads, All season roads run through Haldwani, Bhowali and Khairna. Ranikhet has direct bus.links with Nainital (60 kms.), Kathgodam (86 krns). Ramnagar (96 krns) and Delhi (366kms).
Where to Stay
- KMVN Tourist Rest House, The Mall, Ranikhet:05966-220893
- KMVN Tourist Rest House, Monal, Ranikhet :05966-221527
- KMVN Tourist Rest House, Chiliyanaula :05966-220588
- West View Hotel, The Mall :05966-220261, 05966-221075
- Chevron Rosemount Hotel, The Mall :05966-221391, 05966-220989
- Cost Plus Resort, Majhkhali :05966-240374, 05966-240369
- Hotel Moon, Sadar Bazar :05966-220258, 05966-220382
- Hotel Meghdoot, The Mall :05966-220475, 05966-220568
- Parwati Inn, Ratan Place Compound :05966-220325, 05966-220361
- Holm Farm Heritage :05966-220831
- Rajdeep Hotel:05966-220017
- Alka Hotel:05966-220269
- The Ranikhet Club, The Mall:05966-220611
- Royal Mountain Resort:05966-220093
- Norton's Hotel, the Mall:05966-220377
What to see
Chaubatia Gardens: 10 kms south of Ranikhet are the famous orchards, which remain laden with fruits round the year. Ranikhet is known for it's delicious apples, apricots, peaches and various other alpine fruits. You can buy them right from the growers. There is also a government run Fruit Research Centre. Situated nearby is Bhalu Dam in the background of a beautiful lake created by this dam, which attracts tourists round the year.
Upat: Golfing at the top of the hills. One of the highest golf courses famous in India. Its an army golf course, but civilians can use it, paying a fee. Its open round the year.
Mankameshwar: An ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. This beautiful temple adjacent to Nara Singh Ground has been rebuilt by the Jawans' of Kumaon Regiment.
Tarikhet:8 kms from Ranikhet. Gandhiji stayed here in the 1920s. His cottage is a major tourist attraction. The famous hill temple of Golu Devta can also be visited at Tarikhet.
Jhoola Devi and Ram Mandir: 7 kms from Ranikhet. A famous temple dedicated to Goddess Durga and Lord Rama.
Dwarahat:37 kms from Ranikhet on the Karnaprayag road. Once the centre of Katyuri rulers, Dwarhat is of much historical and archaeological importance. Later it became associated with the Chand rulers. This place is famous for its cluster of temples. Every year a fair is held here from 13' to 169' April called Syaldeh-Bikhoti Mela.
Sitlakhet: 35 kms from Ranikhet. It's a scenic spot, with unparalleled beauty in the Himalayas, amid green forest and apple orchards. . The famouse temple of Syahi Devi is situated nearby